Friday, March 19, 2010

Keeping them active! A moving body helps a healthy brain

An active body increases a healthy brain.

I have noticed, with the help of a very attentive teacher, that on the days were my son gets an extra 15/20 minutes to actively play outside before entering the class room, he is actually more attentive for that 2 hour period, before the 1st break.

On most days I try to get him ready just a little earlier and a little faster, and then I entice him to go play... We have a dog which helps getting him going!

If he really doesn't want to, well then I go out, and start a game...

That's my trick, I take a little 2 minutes to initiate the activity :)

Whether it be biking to the mail box, creating a long jump circuit, timing a certain run around the yard, or timing 25 jumping jacks and 10 big huge "frog jumps" !

Anything... creativity is key ... If I only had front stairs as outside space, I'd turn that into a timing game of how fast he can run up, then down, then up down, then up down up down... One can expand the fun in so many ways!

His teacher noticed a change in the classroom within the first few days, and I saw the change at home, because he was suddenly remembering the lessons learned in class. Extra fresh air and exercise helped him on his way to concentrating and improved his "morning memory" ...

The best activities are the ones that don't cost anything, however the best "toy" I ever bought
was a trampoline ! Surrounded by a net, quite safe and oh so much fun !

He has played countless hours on it, alone or with friends, summer as well as winter, and the trampoline is going on it's 4th summer... Hours of joy laughter and ... "brain oxygenation" ...

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment