Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Journey ... Austrian Goulash

Today's meal won't have as much to do with health as it does with culture and flavors.

Well I'm saying Austrian goulash here, because a good part of my genetic code comes from there.
It could very well be Hungarian goulash, or Bavarian goulash, or German goulash... Even an Italian meat stew could resemble this! Usually the agricultural diversity of a certain area will change the herbs and vegetables used.

"To the little new growth inside of me, welcome to some great cuisine! "
"I promise you the same kind of meals through out your life time..."

he he , why not throw some temptation in there...

I buy my veal from a local organic farmer so I have a variety of cuts that I could use for this!
Basically any cut you don't know what to do with you chop up into cubes and cook  away...
Grass fed cattle produces a meat that is much richer in various forms of nutrients, you'll even find some beneficial omega fatty acids, not found in industrially raised cattle.

The recipe is the following:

Something close to a kilo of cubed veal
1 large chopped onion
1 large carrot (2 if small)
2-4 garlic cloves (individual)
you can add in some leek

3 potatoes (I just cut them into 2, they end up cooking to a mash and thicken the whole stew)
veal or beef soup bones (as many as you can ! at least 3) I have dogs so I can sometimes put up to 8  
                      bones! 
100 ml of red or white wine can use much more if you wish
water to fill over everything

(in order of most used)
paprika (about 1 tablespoon)
dry mustard
thyme
basil
freshly ground black pepper
salt

some sour cream, only to be used once serving

First take a big enough pot that can make food for hum... 8 people
Brown the onions, carrots, garlic and leek if wanted.
Then brown the veal cubes , all on Medium/High heat (hot enough to brown)
Pour in the wine and stir so that it "deglazes" the sides and bottom of pan.
Let come to a hot simmer a few minutes, then deposit the bones in and pour enough water to cover the bones.
Throw in the potatoes
Keep the heat the same until it simmers again. I usually then bring it down to low and cover the pot. Let it simmer a few hours. Generally at least 3 hours. My trick would have to be not to let the meat "boil" , but rather simmer...
After an hour of cooking add the herbs and spices.
Only add salt at the end

Serve over egg noodles and put a small spoonful of sour cream on top

Yum...
There's no other words for it!
I could eat this everyday...

I would like to have a picture, however the meal inspired the write up.
I can tell you... The meat was tender and the flavors where succulent.

I'm sure Baby has a smile on...

No comments:

Post a Comment