Saturday, March 20, 2010

Thinking about my child's future got me into composting

Four years ago, I found that starting a compost in the backyard, was a great way to teach my child about waste, recycling, growth, and rebirth. Every 2 weeks or so we go and turn it over. After a month, it starts to look less like “trash” and more like... well? Dirt.
And then finally it becomes fresh black/brown earth. And we soon realized, what once looked really gross and icky, now looks just like the expensive plastic wrapped, store bought black/brown earth.
Amazing! It really made me feel silly for having payed so much over so many years !!!
I could have done this back in my 1 bedroom apartment! I had plants in every window! And I bought bags of earth all the time !!! Yet I had a tiny balcony, were I could have/ should have had a tiny composting unit...

I compost everything that is an “organic matter”.Bones and things like chicken carcasses I through out, because they don't decompose fast at all... Paper and cardboard can be composted too, however they take longer. ( I ended up just putting it back into the next compost) I now put my paper and cardboard in the recycling container.

A composting unit can be as simple as 1 single trash can, close it up and let it decompose. If you want to be lazy about it just leave it out and CLOSED for a long time. Possibly a year! To speed up the process you can turn it over every once in a while. The fastest I got was 35 days, turning every 3 days.
I googled composting and found so much info that I won't even try to top it off here ;)

Basically, everything that once grew, can be composted … However I've gone a step further...

It wasn't long until we started using this soil, which made some rich nutrient food for our plants !!! Things started growing like … “WILD” !

Ask anyone who's been to my house... It's out of control !
My son tells people we live in a “botanical garden” .
Anyways, back to composting.


I'm now using my compost to help in growing certain veggies, that I've already eaten!
And my son already knows how to collect seeds, collect roots, plant, grow, compost, and eat!
And as I read him this post he replied: "And I'm showing and talking about it to my friends at school !"
Isn't that an essential basic in life...

And all this doesn't cost a penny !

No comments:

Post a Comment